ADVERTISEMENT

Chip Kelly's First Class

conalllamar

Feb 15, 2018
2018 Incoming Class
QB: Robinson
RB: Allen // Irby
WR: Cota // Ezeiki // Phillips // Priebe(TE) // Alaimo(TE)
OL: Beckett(T) // Gaines(G) // Murray(G/C) // Anderson(T)
DL: Manoa(DE) // Mafi(NT) // Ogbonnie(DT) //Mason(DE)
LB: Calvert // Wade //**Anderson(ILB) //** Thompson(ILB)
DB: Jolly Jr. // Guidry // Williams // Churchwell(S) // Blaylock(S)
ATH: Addison // Hurt
#MyOpinion
UCLA Upperclassmen
QB: Modster,Burton and Lynch should provide competition for Dorian Thompson-Robinson except I see Modster especially Lynch who has the prototype measurements and arm strength. Matt Lynch is so big and strong I would like him to move to TE/Y position if QB doesn't work out.
RB: One of the freshman will sit out the season baring injuring. RB under Foster tutelage were productive and it's possible Irby/Allen talent can be exploited on special teams.
WR: Credit to Dougherty,similar to Foster the Bruins WR unit played exceptionally better but the drops still had it's presence except it was a still productive 2018 season.
OL: Good enough,it was average, depth was solid until now left with no viable option not getting Patterson is terrible and the incoming freshmen are just warm bodies. The entire left side is gone,Coach Fraley/UCLA needs Tagaloa who's gifted with physical/mental toughness to lead the OL at Center& Robinson-Carr's quick feet and long measurable s could be used at Left Tackle.
DL: Unit was solid,it was filling up all three levels of depth chart with UCLA switching back the "34" defense it means certain DL like Moore/Lucier-South will be OLB,Phillips was a stand up DE so the transition to the new defense shouldn't be a problem.
LB: slow reads and bad tackling plagued the unit I think the incoming LB unit has a chance to start and the bad combination of scheme/coaching was the problem. Unit has the numbers and physical talent except the production was unacceptable.
DB: Pickett/Meadors returning is fantastic news,it only sustains the dependability& Coach Martin left the DB unit sitting nicely with experienced, viable assets and baring injury/transfer/suspension 2018 Freshman class should all red-shirt.
Ath: Candidates to switch positions: (OL)Tagaloa,(DL)Asiasi,(OL)Robinson-Carr

P.S
Will post my thoughts every Thursday or Friday, so UCLA fans alike me could connect talking football or recruiting.-Go,BRUINS.

Last edited:
Nice class of WR's that Kelly was able to recruit. RB should be a high priority on Kelly's recruiting list.

Soso and Olorunfunmi will be gone so I'm confident the staff will target just two running backs. Curious how Kelly recruits with a bigger pool of talent,I actually expect CK ignore some 5-4 star prospect that people assume fit his system.

Soso and Olorunfunmi will be gone so I'm confident the staff will target just two running backs. Curious how Kelly recruits with a bigger pool of talent,I actually expect CK ignore some 5-4 star prospect that people assume fit his system.

Kelly seems to be a no nonsense type of coach. I too think Kelly will pass on some 4 and 5 star recruits because a lot of those players feel a sense of entitlement when they get recruited, like the position they play should just be handed to them. In Kelly's system the players are going to have to produce to earn playing time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT