ADVERTISEMENT

Confused in ky

bLueMindeD

Aug 16, 2009
Hey everyone :) before I start I would like to say that I have alot of respect for your program and I want to let everyone know that I am above all a college basketball fan! I love the game and it means alot to me and my family. Secondly I am a supporter of the uk wildcats but I don't think I am an asshole about it( many of us are lol) but anyways I have a question that has always confused me. I look at the history of college bball and I see what ucla has done and I remember the three back to back to back final fours you had under howland but then I see yearly attendance records and it confuses me seeing one of the top five programs all time seem so unsupported and it's like no one cares about you all. And in kentucky it's almost required to be supportive of uk and there is south passion here seeing a similar program not passionate is confusing! I hope you all could make sense of what I am asking and thank you for your time. And p.s I am not very good at writing out my thoughts so I apologize for any grammar or confusion you may have. :)

One of the prevailing theories is that the average southern California resident has too much offered and too varied a choice on how to spend his or her leisure time. Besides having UCLA and USC in one town, and both schools are competitive in a lot of sports, there are numerous professional teams, cultural events, Hollywood, and the beaches and mountains. Not to mention we have great weather year round. But, that could merely be a pretext, such that we are just generally an apathetic and spoiled lot who are worn down by the vagaries of LA traffic.

What would be interesting to know is if there are any other things in your area over which people are passionate. I understand that while you are in a great conference, KY football doesn't attract the following that the hoops team does. Is basketball the only thing that draws the adulation or are there other things?

Ky, I agree with Allen. It's not that we don't have passionate sports fans, it's more about a difference in culture. With so many other things to focus on and then the inaccessibility do to traffic, it's very difficult to create that same atmosphere that Kentucky has. Although, when we are winning, it is a wonderful atmosphere.

Glad to talk with you.

Hey sorry it took so long to get back to you. But I understand the difference in couture and environment
Kentucky is and always has been a college sports state. Probably be ause we don't have our own professional
Team but we are very close to the Cincinnati Reds in baseball and the Indianapolis colts in the nfl. And to reply
To your comment about uk's football we just had 50,000 thousand fans at a spring game only two schools had more :)
Ok quick question. Does the thought of uk passing ucla in titles worry any ucla bball fans? And am I the only one who sees us
As the lakers( ucla west coast) celtics( uk east coast) of the college bball world. And with that one of my dreams is seeing a future title game
Ucla vs uk for a 12 title! Wouldn't that be epic

Speaking only for myself, I have always worried about KY catching UCLA in national titles. There is no argument about who has been more consistent in fielding championship caliber teams. But UCLA is in a hot spot for basketball talent and Kentucky, while on the east coast, really doesn't have a backyard recruiting base. There is definitely a chance you can catch us. I just hope that if does happen, it's not in my lifetime.

This is a great thread. I worry about UK as well and think they may catch up. I just don't think that what Wooden was able do can ever be replicated. That title game for 12 would be considered to be one of the most anticipated events in sports history and would solidify UK and UCLA as eternal rivals.

Oh absolutely wooden a seven year streak will never be duplicated and that's saying alot! Because when
You look at all of the great programs they were all built by a legend like a dean smith phogg Allen, Adolph rupp
But what John wooden did was just remarkable! Like for example there will be a better micheal Jordan and there
Will be a better tiger woods and streaks will be broken.. But what ucla did.. With the directionthe NCAA college
Basketball world is going... Unbreakable! Which is why I started this thread.. So much history to me is saddened
By ( through my eyes) a lack of deserving fanbase..

This post was edited on 7/31 9:43 PM by bLueMindeD

And what I mean by " deserving fanbase" is your history should merit more support than I think it gets

This post was edited on 7/31 9:46 PM by bLueMindeD

You know what, I couldn't agree with you more. I admit, I have a major problem with the Ucla fan base, but then again, they may have a problem with me. It is what it is though, nothing will ever stop me from loving my Bruins.

I attended the ceremony for Coach Wooden. He is waaay before my generation. I know about him mainly because my parents told me about him when they went to school at Ucla. I can tell you that although the turn out was small, 4000, the quality was very high and included the mayor of L.A. Kareem Abduljabar and many others in the LA community. He was an amazing man and I'm glad I can say I looked him in the eye and raised my index finger to say, we are number 1!

Anyway, obviously we havent had the same success since Wooden. He was a master of his time a d UCLA is looking for a new master of this time.

7 straight championships will never happen again and even more so 10 in 12 years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT