ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana didnt even want Alford as coach

Speak for yourself

There is zero point in you coming over here trying to troll.

I'd say the Indiana fanbase was/is split down the middle on Alford. His coaching has never been the issue.

A lot of people got a bad taste in their mouth with the way Alford handled the Pierre Pierce situation at Iowa a few years ago. Otherwise, a sect of IU fans hate Coach Knight and anything associated with him so because of that direct link they instantly don't like him.

I personally wish we could have Crean recruiting and Alford coaching the games.......but it's not a perfect world. You guys will love him and I think you'll win big. Congrats on the hire!

We are not hot on Alford, but kinda hard to be the winningest basket program in NCAA history and not be a blue blood. We are The blue blood.

I am a double alumnus of IU and I thought we should have hired Steve after Davis' interim year. I still think he would have done a great job at IU, but the timing was not right.

I think he is an excellent coach and predict he will be very successful at UCLA.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Get your facts right you are not the winningest program that would be UK. UCLA has the most titles. With your Coaching hire combined with your home attendance UCLA days of being a blueblood are more than a generation ago.

Will, you're an idiot.

The cries when Knight was fired were for Alford to come home to IU. A deal had been done to make that happen, but the late Myles Brand cowered when threatened with campus disruptions if the job wasn't given to Mike Davis. (These are facts)

So, a politically correct decision was made over the right decision and the rest is history of what happened to the storied Indiana Hoosiers.

Alford would have been a huge succes at IU, just as he has been at Manchester College (final game in D3), at Iowa, and now at New Mexico.

I'm very surprised UCLA got him, but I do wish Steve the best and I believe you'll be getting great and classy recruits from today forward.

He was not good at IOWA
He followed Dr Tom and never even achieved what the DR did in his last year.

Alford was very mediocre at Iowa. His personality did not mix well with Iowans. He's arrogant and called Iowa a football school that could never have success at basketball when he failed to keep the program strong like Dr Tom Davis and all the coaches before them. He was also quite a bit younger back then so maybe he has grown up and is ready to coach in a major conference again. We know he can have success coaching in the little conferences, he's always kind of enjoyed being the big fish in a little pond.

Huge success at IU. Bwahahahaha. You are the fool. He.would have been exposed in the big ten. Lmfao. Hahahahah

Originally posted by TwinDegrees2:

Alford would have been a huge succes at IU, just as he has been at Manchester College (final game in D3), at Iowa, and now at New Mexico.
I may have missed the huge success he had at Iowa. His first team went 14-16, his last went 17-14 and in between they won 1 NCAA tournament game (The year before Alford arrived Iowa went to the Sweet 16). 8 years coaching at Iowa and I would expect a little more than 1 NCAA tournament win and a losing Big Ten record to be labeled a huge success.

This post was edited on 4/1 11:22 AM by sandiegohawk

Hey Will, at UCLA we measure success in championships;) Yes, Kentucky has more wins, but not when it mattered.

Yeah your right, UCLA has the most titles and Kentucky has the most wins. And I'm sure Kentucky has banners hanging in their arena stating they have the MOST wins.

Back to my point, you are probably not from around the LA area or you would know that the LA fan base is the most difficult to please. Spoiled by championships and other things to do besides sitting around and watching sports. Lastly, UCLA is a highly regarded academic institution. The kids there care more about studying than they do about sports. It's just the nature of the school. It aint USC.

You are to basketball what SC is to football, fan base very unrealistic.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT