ADVERTISEMENT

UCLA men’s basketball hires new strength and conditioning coach

Tracy McDannald

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2011
Dave Andrews, who was most recently the Iowa State football strength and conditioning coach for three seasons, is now UCLA men’s basketball program’s director of athletic performance.

Andrews was at Iowa State from 2020 to 2022. He also spent eight total seasons as an assistant strength and conditioning coach with Cincinnati from 2004-12, including the last six with UCLA head coach Mick Cronin.

"I'm very excited to join UCLA's storied program and to reconnect with Coach Cronin," Andrews said in a release Thursday announcing the move. "I have seen first-hand how he went about overhauling and rebuilding the men's basketball program at Cincinnati, more than 15 years ago, in one of the most difficult conferences ever. Joining UCLA is a terrific opportunity and I am here to make the Bruins better. It starts with the buy-in and hard work from our team's talented young men, and we'll strive to be at our very best. Everything that we do has a purpose, and we will hit the ground running. The summer months are important, and my number one goal is to help these young men significantly improve."

Andrews was a tight end for Ohio State in the early 2000s. He’s spent more than 20 years working with college football and basketball programs in his career.

Other previous stops include Pittsburgh, Notre Dame and Illinois.

“Dave Andrews is an elite strength, conditioning and performance coach," Cronin said in the release. "Bringing Dave back to basketball and reconnecting from our days together at Cincinnati is a tremendous coup for the UCLA men's basketball program. Dave is talented and committed, and his passion for the student-athletes is second to none. Player development has been the backbone of our program, as we believe in providing the best for our players at UCLA. Dave's impact will be felt immediately in our program, and we are thrilled to have him in Westwood."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News