ADVERTISEMENT

What is NIL landscape at UCLA for HS recruits?

juanfrombz

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2005
Rehoboth Beach, DE and Arlington, VA
Are they each being promised money early in the process? Do they negotiate right before they commit?

How much total is it for UCLA? How much is reserved for current players? Transfers?

It sure seems unsustainable In conjunction with unlimited transferring.

My guess is that UCLA finds maybe $4M a year for the team. Big schools probably find 5-10 times that much.

I dislike Chip but I like his idea about a salary cap. Based on a % of total TV revenue plus NIL money minus exceptions for room and board and school and training. Something like $30M is the max a program can offer and they have to figure out how to calculate the costs of the other benefits like the NFL does. Of course then we go back to the old version of the bag man.

Colleges sure screwed this up by not getting ahead of it. They could easily have created a system where freshmen get up to $10k stipend at school’s expense, sophomores $15k, etc
Then the school manages the NIL process and kids get a percentage of nil money and full ability to deny opportunities. So a guy like Caleb Williams could still make his $20k plus a few hundred thousand through NIL.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News