ADVERTISEMENT

Instant Analysis: Fall Camp Day 8

EdwardLewis

Jul 3, 2011
UCLA's offense rebounded Wednesday afternoon -- at least the starters did -- to have a much better and more competitive practice. The O-line, however, has been hurt by injuries (different coach, same story every camp) and that was probably the storyline of the day.

The notes from the workout:

-UCLA's O-line, just like every year around this time in camp, is hurting. Right tackle Sunny Odogwu and left guard Najee Toran both sat out team drills today, with Toran spending practice on a bike with Sal Alosi. Late in 11-on-11s, Kenny Lacy was replaced by Poasi Moala at right tackle as well for an undisclosed reason. So the starting OL by the end of the day was: LT Kolton Miller, LG Michael Alves, C Scott Quessenberry, RG Andre James and RT Poasi Moala.

-Other injury notes: Brandon Stephens and Nate Starks remained out of practice. Audie Omotosho was not out there as well after leaving Tuesday's workout with an injury. Soso Jamabo sat out practice after briefly returning Tuesday. Jordan Lasley did return, however.

So the depth chart Wednesday looked something like this:

Offense

QB - Josh Rosen; Devon Modster
RB - Bolu Olorunfunmi; Jalen Starks
WR - Christian Pabico, Theo Howard and Darren Andrews were the ones here again today with a little mix of Eldridge Massington instead of Howard.
TE - Caleb Wilson; Jordan Wilson
LT - Kolton Miller; Jake Burton
LG - Michael Alves; Josh Wariboko
C - Scott Quessenberry; Zach Sweeney
RG - Andre James; Sean Seawards
RT - Kenny Lacy/Poasi Moala; Bryan Weitzman

Defense

DE - Jaelan Phillips; Keisean Lucier-South
DT - Matt Dickerson; Osa Odighizuwa
DT - Boss Tagaloa; Nick Terry
DE - Jacob Tuioti-Mariner; Rick Wade
OLB - Kenny Young; Breland Brandt
MLB - Lokeni Toailoa; Mique Juarez
OLB - Josh Woods; Krys Barnes
CB - Darnay Holmes; Denzel Fisher
S - Adarius Pickett; Will Lockett
S - Jaleel Wadood, Octo Spencer
CB - Nate Meadors, Colin Samuel

*A note on today: UCLA practiced mostly on the north side of the field, so viewing the minutiae of practice just wasn't possible from the parking lot like the past seven days*

-The big picture storyline from yesterday was just the awful play of the offense, which only scored one touchdown in around 100 plays. Today, however, things were different, particularly from the first-team offense. Josh Rosen was vintage Josh Rosen today, in just about every drill and every throw he made. Tom Bradley seemed to dial back the blitzing as well, which gave Rosen time to do his thing. I have countless notes in my notebook praising various throws from the QB, particularly in 1-on-1s. The second-team offense was a little different story, considering the O-line they were working with. But still, an encouraging sign for Jedd Fisch that his offense scored double-digit TDs today after just one yesterday.

-Christian Pabico got back on track after a dreadful night Tuesday. He, Jordan Lasley and Alex Van Dyke were probably the top wideouts of the day. Pabico had several nice catches in 1-on-1s from Rosen, but really turned it on in 11-on-11s. The highlight was a 25-yard strike from Rosen on what looked like a post route over Darnay Holmes. Lasley, meanwhile, was quiet in 11-on-11s working with the threes, but he was a nightmare for DBs in 1-on-1s. Alex Van Dyke had a big first half of practice, catching two nice jump balls (one over Nate Meadors, the other over Mo Osling) in goal-line 1-on-1s. He also had a few nice catches in 11-on-11s, catching one over the middle and bouncing off Krys Barnes for a big gain. He slowed down late, though, dropping a high pass that resulted in a Barnes interception and then dropping an easy one on a short route.

-Two notable throws from Rosen: A deep TD strike to Darren Andrews at the beginning of 11-on-11 drills. Another scramble-for-his-life play where he eluded Rick Wade and threw a jump pass TD throw to Jordan Wilson. When his O-line gives him time (or when Tom Bradley isn't blitzing), he can really make this thing go.

-As good as Rosen was today, the throw of the afternoon belonged to Austin Burton.The QB launched a deep ball to a streaking Jordan Lasley that landed right in his hands for a score past Mo Osling. Burton has been good this camp, but his lack of arm strength occasionally flashes, such as deep outs toward the sideline.

-With UCLA practicing on the north side of the field, I was able to see RB/TE-LB 1-on-1s for the first time. For the most part, everybody won as many reps as they lost. But I thought Josh Woods was great in coverage, locking up Caleb Wilson in their reps. On the flip side, I thought Mique Juarez just looked kind of lost, losing every rep he took.

-Speaking more of Juarez, I'll probably be done writing about the linebacker after this one because I don't want to be too negative here. But in addition to LB-RB 1-on-1s, we also got our first long look at the twos as they practiced on the south field. I watched Juarez closely there, and there's just not much to like about him anymore. He got beat several more times in coverage because he's still too heavy to move like he once did in high school. He's not violent at the point of attack. If you slapped a No. 33 jersey on him and told me he was a walk-on, I'd believe it. At this point in his career, he's just a guy, and it's probably time we stopped holding him to the five-star ceiling he once came to UCLA with.

-Octo Spencer blanketed Darren Andrews on one play, and because of the coverage, Rosen had to throw an incompletion. Spencer was fired up about this, got in Andrews' face, and then Mora promptly kicked him off the field and sent him to the showers. Despite being thrown out of practice, Spencer's had a strong start to camp.

-Jaelan Phillips bull-rushed Poasi Moala so hard late in 11-on-11s, he actually put the tackle on his back and recorded the sack. He's been much quieter since the pads came on (he got nicked up a few practices ago), but the raw talent still oozes every now and then from the freshman.

-Osa Odighizuwa has been getting much more run with the twos ahead of Chigozie Nnoruka and he's made the most of it. He's very active in 11-on-11s, and when he went heads up with that second interior O-line of Wariboko, Sweeney and Seawards, it was a feast. I had him at two or three sacks on the final 11-on-11 drive on practice, blowing right by those three.

-JJ Molson had an up-and-down day. He started the afternoon just 2-for-5 with misses from 50, 52 and 52 and makes from 43 and 45. But he "won" practice for the offense, booting a 55-yarder that drew plenty of cheers from Mora and the offensive players.

-Mossi Johnson had an early INT off Devon Modster, and that might be the DB's third or fourth day in a row with an interception in practice.

UCLA practices at 3:15 p.m. again on Thursday. Hopefully on the south side of the field so we can see it better.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News