ADVERTISEMENT

Strange juxtaposition with football

juanfrombz

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2005
Rehoboth Beach, DE and Arlington, VA
I apologize in advance if this topic rankles people. I trust most of you know me well enough to realize I err on the side of athletes.

This staff is overwhelmingly African American. I 100% support that for many reasons, mostly because more coaches are not but most players are.

The UCLA student body is at a 50 year low of AA students thanks to the courts.

So we should be an attractive option for athletes who want to relate to the coaches, but the student body is not reflective of the coaching staff.

I hope that non AA players value the coaching staff as well as AA players. I am not suggesting the staff is an issue at all.

The question I have is what the experience will be for AA students who have an attraction to the coaching staff in part because of their playing experience and diversity but have a mostly non-engaged student body who isn’t a reflection of the diversity of the team. I think in many situations the glow of the enthusiasm for football helps bond players and students. But without enthusiasm you have not only an isolated experience for athletes but also because of the lack of AA students to relate to.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News