ADVERTISEMENT

Sunday night recruiting notes...

EdwardLewis

Jul 3, 2011
UCLA played host to seven official visitors this weekend (no surprise visitors, as has been rumored, at least from what I was told):

-CB Jaylan Shaw
-DB Quentin Lake
-OL Kanan Ray
-OL Jax Wacaser
-OL Sean Seawards
-WR Ty Jones
-RB Stephen Carr
-ATH Connor Wedington

As we reported on here earlier this weekend, it does not appear San Diego RB C.J. Verdell made the trip. Unless they hid him from other visitors, it looks like he did not make it.

As for the others, I spoke with some sources; here's the scoop:

-Two separate sources told me Seawards is a silent Bruin. Actually not too sure why he didn't announce the UCLA pledge when he announced the Boise State decommit, but expect this to go public shortly.

-I thought there was absolutely zero chance for UCLA for the other three uncommitted guys in Carr, Jones and Wedington. From those I spoke to, there's still not much of a chance for Carr, but Jones might be the one to watch here: "Ty loved it," a source told me. Wedington is supposed to announce at 8 a.m. tomorrow (Monday), I've still got Stanford here, but a source told me: "Connor is 50/50 and him changing his commitment date the day after a UCLA visit is a good sign."

So with that, the UCLA recruiting season is essentially over. So what should you watch for this week?

Monday

-Connor Wedington announces his pledge at 8 a.m. I've got Stanford here, but we'll see. He recapped his trip to UCLA with Adam Gorney earlier today.

-Three-star Oklahoma safety Evan Fields, who visited UCLA earlier this month and reportedly loved it, is announcing at 8:30 a.m. PT. He's got a final list of UCLA, ASU, Kansas State, TCU, Notre Dame and Oregon. I have no idea who he's going to pick, because last I was told, UCLA didn't have room for another DB. Though with guys like Popo Aumavae, C.J. Verdell, Alden Tofa, etc. not visiting, and Jaxson Kirkland's decommitment, perhaps there's room now. We'll see.

Wednesday (Signing Day)

-Four-star safety Chaz Ah You said he'll announce his pledge here. No time for the decision was given yet.

-Four-star Texas linebacker Mohamed Sanogo, who just landed a UCLA offer a few days ago, said he'll announce his choice at 8 a.m. here. He tweeted it's down to UCLA, Ole Miss and Mississippi State. I'm guessing he'll end up at a school in Mississippi, particularly because he's never seen UCLA.

Unknown decision days

-Sean Seawards and WR DeAndre McNeal should pop for UCLA at some point in the next 72 hours. No set date or time has been announced for those pledges, however.

-Four-star OL Stephan Zabie, who officially visited UCLA earlier this month, tweeted he's down to UCLA, Texas and Ole Miss. I would find it shocking if UCLA beat out the hometown Longhorns here, but our Texas guys tell me he has issues with academics, so we'll see on this one.

-UCLA is still technically in the mix for four-star LB Levi Jones, who officially visited earlier this month, but USC, Florida and Florida State are going to make this very tough to see the Bruins being the pick here.

-As commitments to other schools, no announcement date has been set for three-star WR Ty Jones or four-star RB Stephen Carr.

Other prospects to watch

-I think UCLA has no chance here, but at least check out their Twitter accounts on Wednesday: DE Alden Tofa, WR Bryan Thompson and ATH Branden Smith.

Social media reaction from the UCLA visitors:

https://twitter.com/yt_deon/status/825859079469834240

Reactions: blueandgold04
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News