ADVERTISEMENT

A case to start Jerry this year........and then Rosen

billstas

Jul 27, 2009
I know everyone wants Rosen to start this year, but what is the harm in waiting until league starts to pick a final starter and let both QBs play in pre-season? This would allow Rosen to be more aggressive and permit for some mistakes knowing that Jerry will play some each game.

If Rosen starts day one and just performs poorly like almost all true freshmen, then he risks putting Mora in a really tough spot. If Josh is the better of the two, then 2-3 games will be more than enough to separate the starter from the backup. If it is a tie, then we have a good problem on our hands, and we probably go with the future, right?

However, what if Jerry is the gamer we know he can be and just turns into Rick 2.0? I hate to say one drive in the Texas game is my proof, but why not let him play 40% of the snaps against UVA and UNLV and lets see what happens. If he blows it, then we put Rosen back in.

I just think having both play some the first 2-3 games gives the coaches a little more runway, an opportunity for both guys to breath a little, and we probably have a better QB product in the end. Moreover, God forbid the starter gets hurt, we have someone who took some live snaps this calendar year under center. Peace.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News