ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Analytics - Q for Board

48-41

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2002
Sports analytics have spread to basketball during the last few years. At the NBA level the teams that have adopted an analytics approach have done much better than the teams that still use the old school approach. Aldridge even commented about how impressed he was by Houston's analytics analysis when he interviewed with them. Player agents seem to stress team analytics as their clients go through free agency. From everything I've read, the Lakers are among the most behind the times in the area of basketball analytics. Coach Byron Scott is a dinosaur in that area, and the Lakers relationship with Kobe (one of the worst performing NBA players in the last two years based on analytics) leaves the team tied to old school basketball analysis, at least while Byron Scott and Kobe Bryant remain on the team. This may help explain why an NBA player may prefer Milwaukee and other less distinguished franchises to the Lakers.

I remember reading an article in the last year or so about UCLA Basketball Coach Steve Alford and his use of analytics. The thrust of the article was that Alford is a believer in new school analytics and that he uses that analysis in his coaching. Does anyone know how much UCLA relies on analytics and how much UCLA devotes resources to the analytics area? While I see more and more articles about NBA teams use of analytics, I haven't seen much on college basketball teams use of analytics.

Thanks,

Go Bruins!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News