ADVERTISEMENT

Defensive Game Theory...

Themudge

Jan 21, 2014
First of all, I'll always take a win. So there's that. Congrats Bruins.

Secondly, hats off to the defensive players for giving it their all today. It was a weird game, due to our long TD's--including one on D, that kept those guys out there all day long.

But here's the biggest thing I want to comment on: our defensive game plan. Like many posters, I'd like to see our defense be more aggressive. Blitz more, show more looks, try to keep the opponents guessing a bit etc. Now at the beginning of the year, I could understand playing our base D because we had some studs and I'm assuming the thought was, "Well eventually our studs will make a play and so we can play 'bend don't break.'" But then Eddie went down, and Myles, and Moreau, and the list continues to get longer...and it seems as if the coaches have taken on the theory of, "Well we need to play softer because these guys are less experienced." But to me it makes less sense and I'm just curious as to what others think. For me, it seems if you are playing with less experience then eliminate the decision making-- i.e. "Hey 3rd string guy, don't try and read this and that, I just want you to blitz through that gap over there and hit the guy with the ball." I understand that sometimes we'll get hit with a big play, but is that any worse than keeping our guys on the field all day, giving up 7, 8 yards a play? Then they're just more tired as the game wears on. Today's game especially, what was the point of playing soft, soft, soft, the guys were just wearing down.

Look in the end it worked, a couple of big stops to finish the game. Again hats off, but it seems in the long run it's detrimental. If Colorado doesn't drop a couple of easy catches and Ish doesn't come up with the INT, we're not even talking about those last couple of possessions. It's a blowout, and not for the good guys.

I like Tom Bradley, his record speaks for itself, but it seems as if when we have 5 up front or even blitz a little bit we have so much more success, and I just can't understand why we don't do it more often. Perhaps it's just my imagination.

Everyone have a safe and fun Halloween.

Go Bruins!

Reactions: nmo
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News