ADVERTISEMENT

Execution is About Coaching

winfall

Gold Member
Sep 5, 2004
Happy Labor Day Weekend to all.

A few have said here that 'poor execution is the fault of the players, not the coaches' or words to that effect, and I still disagree.

Of course it's true that coaches don't fumble snaps or drop passes or jump offsides, but the hallmark of good teams is that they are consistently coached and/or disciplined about details. Guys who screw up or take plays off are relegated to the bench, and that pattern gets lots of attention among the players or great teams, and it also gets noticed if the coaches Don't do it.

It's hard not to notice a team like Alabama, where the player mistakes occur so rarely. You don't read about them bitching about player mistakes because they are coached to focus on details as if their lives depend on it. And it's not like they don't have major injuries or underclass men players or asst coaching turnover. They haven't apparently missed a beat with Kirby Smart's departure to Georgia.

To me the Bruins are not yet very close to this level of excellence. There is just a lot of apologizing and hand-holding and 'we can fix this in time' rationalizing that goes on.
Way too much In my opinion. Why is it considered somehow 'disloyal' to expect and demand excellence from coaches who are collectively paid millions? Why is it OK for the coaches to check out for a couple of months each summer when the other recruiters at other schools are not checking out at all? Why have so many key players
left a year early? Not all of these questions have easy answers but to me it ALL starts at the top.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News