ADVERTISEMENT

Instant Analysis: Fall Camp Day 13

EdwardLewis

Jul 3, 2011
Just 24 hours after a very entertaining practice, UCLA had a bit of a dragger on Tuesday afternoon. With a bunch of run plays, no hitting (not even thudding) and plenty of incompletions, the most interesting part of the workout was Josh Rosen's interview with the media afterward.

Nonetheless, here were my notes:

-Both Josh Rosen and Jedd Fisch said UCLA is done installing its offense and now the rest of these practices -- at least this week -- are about the details. And that's what today felt like. The 11-on-11s were painstakingly slow, with practice going just shy of three hours.

-Rosen refused to comment on his Bleacher Report interview, likely having enough of being a distraction for this month. He did say that after a really bad practice last week (the one I said was a brutal day for the offense), he's strung together several nice ones and he's finally feeling like his old self. His play on the field definitely reflects his comments.

-On the field, UCLA remained relatively healthy. Poasi Moala and Boss Tagaloa rode bikes for most of the practice, battling undisclosed injuries. Austin Roberts remained out. Everyone else was back in the lineup.

-UCLA continued to keep the same starting OL as Monday in on Tuesday. So the depth charts looked like this:

Offense

QB - Josh Rosen; Devon Modster
RB - Soso Jamabo; Bolu Olorunfunmi
WR - Christian Pabico, Theo Howard and Darren Andrews were the ones
TE - Caleb Wilson; Jordan Wilson
LT - Kolton Miller; Kenny Lacy
LG - Najee Toran; Jake Burton
C - Scott Quessenberry; Josh Wariboko
RG - Michael Alves; Sean Seawards
RT - Andre James; Sunny Odogwu

Defense

DE - Jaelan Phillips; Keisean Lucier-South
DT - Matt Dickerson; Osa Odighizuwa
DT - Chigozie Nnoruka; Nick Terry
DE - Jacob Tuioti-Mariner; Rick Wade
OLB - Kenny Young; Breland Brandt
MLB - Lokeni Toailoa; Mique Juarez
OLB - Josh Woods; Krys Barnes
CB - Darnay Holmes; Denzel Fisher
S - Adarius Pickett; Will Lockett
S - Jaleel Wadood, Octo Spencer
CB - Nate Meadors, Keyon Riley/Colin Samuel

-Andre James continued to look like this team's best right tackle running with the ones there once again. I gave Sunny Odogwu the benefit of the doubt the first few days of camp because of the injury he was nursing, but it's pretty clear he's a big-time waist-bender who tends to get off balance far too much because of his technique. He stays in front of his man more often than not because he's just so darn big, but in obvious passing situations against good pass rushers, he struggles and he's going to continue to struggle. Perhaps UCLA has already seen this coming and that's why James is now the starting RT. It'll be interesting to see if this is the starting unit the Bruins continue to roll with through the end of camp or if they give Odogwu more chances to run with the first team.

-UCLA spent what seemed like 60 percent of its 11-on-11 plays running the ball today, and with no tackling or even thudding, it was very difficult to tell who stood out. Still, I thought Soso Jamabo was slippery and showed burst that Bolu Olorunfunmi just hasn't shown through the first two weeks. That might be because Jamabo knew he couldn't get hit and ran with more confidence, but still. He's probably going to get the start for UCLA just because he at least has some ability to turn a 3-yarder into a first down. I thought Brandon Stephens looked explosive as well in his few carries. But again, tough to gauge in a mostly three-quarter-speed 11-on-11 session.

As for notable plays from today's workout, here were a few:

-Mossi Johnson picked off Matt Lynch in little 2-on-3 WR-DB drills. It had to be Johnson's eighth pick of camp. Jaleel Wadood also recorded an INT in these same drills. The QBs had a rough time in this one.

-Alex Van Dyke had another bad drop.

-Christian Pabico had a nice catch, tapping his toes on the sideline for a deep completion from Josh Rosen in early 11-on-11s.

-Pabico also caught a touchdown over Darnay Holmes in traffic in 7-on-7s from Rosen.

-Eldridge Massington continued his strong week -- though still doing most of his damage against freshmen and walk-ons -- with a nice one-foot dragging catch on the sideline in early 11-on-11s.

-Adarius Pickett had an interception off a deflection in 7-on-7s, rebounding after a rough day yesterday to have a nice practice this afternoon.

-Darren Andrews had the catch of practice, hauling in a back-shoulder touchdown throw from Rosen with just his left arm on Nate Meadors in 7-on-7s.

-Denzel Fisher had his first pick of camp -- at least that I've seen -- off a tipped Devon Modster pass in 7-on-7s.

-I had J.J. Molson at 2-for-4 for the day, with makes from 53 and 45 and misses from 48 and 50.

-Caleb Wilson had a lot of touchdowns today, with the highlight being a busted coverage where he got wide open in the corner of the endzone for a TD from Rosen.

-Greg Rogers continued to be terrible in 1-on-1s but great in 11-on-11s. He had a few TFLs, including one where he pancaked center Gyo Shojima to get into the backfield.

UCLA practices again on Wednesday at 3:15 p.m. I might not be able to make it out to that one because of a prior engagement, but I'll try to have somebody there for you all.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News