ADVERTISEMENT

Instant Analysis: Spring Ball Day 12

EdwardLewis

Jul 3, 2011
The Bruins just wrapped up a shorts and shells practice, and we're at the point now where every workout is looking much like the ones before it. There was an hour of individual work, some 9-on-7, some 11-on-11, some 7-on-7, and some more 11-on-11. The passing game struggled, the defense looked good; cut, copy and paste. Nonetheless, here were some of my takes from UCLA practice tonight:

Notables

-Mique Juarez returned to the practice field, although he was held out of any drill that had contact work. The Bruins did do some unique things with him today in order to try to get him at least some mental reps. They lined him up basically as a 12th man on the field near the safeties, and he mimicked what the OLBs would do during the play. He was attached to Scott White's hip throughout the two hours of work out there.

-Josh Woods did more individual work with the LBs, but finished the day with Sal Alosi. DeChaun Holiday also spent the day with Alosi, although Jim Mora said he was just not feeling well. DB Colin Samuel continued to sit out. LB Breland Brandt remained away from the practice field with a concussion.

-Mora said he spoke with DeChaun Holiday about moving to receiver last Thursday, but the two came to the consensus that he'd stay at safety for now. It would not shock me to see him move to WR at some point in the next few months, particularly with the way Will Lockett has emerged the past few weeks at safety.

The Day 12 depth chart

-Not many changes at this point in spring. Kenny Lacy got reps with the ones ahead of Poasi Moala at right guard, Isaako Savaiinaea started ahead of Kenny Young at ILB, and Tahaan Goodman ran with the ones at safety ahead of Adarius Pickett. Everything else was the same as Day One out here.

Practice observations

-Coaches probably won't agree with this, but players have the look and the feel like they're over this one out here. There's no energy, and the passing game has deteriorated so much that the offense averages like two touchdowns a day in 11-on-11s. We had multiple fans and boosters come up to us media members today asking, "Is it always like this?"

-Josh Rosen had another really poor day out there today. And honestly, outside of a couple patented Rosen dimes here and there, it's been a brutal start to this pro-style switch for him. My notebook has several lowlights from Rosen's day: A back-footed throw that was nearly intercepted by Leni Toailoa on the sideline, a forced throw that was nearly picked by Will Lockett in the middle of the field, an overthrow on a scramble to Alex Van Dyke, a deep ball into triple coverage to Kenny Walker, a near pick on a corner route to Ishmael Adams when he didn't see Adarius Pickett, and there were probably a few others I just didn't care to write down. I didn't take stats today, but if somebody said he was 6-for-20 in 11-on-11s, I'd say, "Sounds about right."

-Mike Fafaul wasn't a whole lot better, although he did make a couple nice throws. He had his best throw of the spring on a streak down the sidelines to Ishmael Adams for one of the only offensive TDs of the day in 11-on-11s. Later in practice, he hit Adams again for a long gain on a post route down the middle of the field.

-Takkarist McKinley had another pass breakup staying home on a Josh Rosen bootleg. Jayon Brown had another sack or two coming in off blitzes. The two remain UCLA's best defenders out here.

-Austin Roberts had two glaring drops in practice. Nate Iese has been invisible at TE through 12 practices so far. The tight end spot is going to be interesting to watch the next few months.

-Will Lockett earned more praise from Demetrice Martin for breaking up a pass intended for Stephen Johnson from Josh Rosen.

-In OL-DL 1-on-1s, Conor McDermott was fantastic against Keisean Lucier-South and Rick Wade. Wade, though, had his best practice of the spring so far in my opinion. He beat Andre James twice in 1-on-1s, had a pass breakup later in 11-on-11s at the line of scrimmage, and he was active as usual when it came to run defense.

-I had J.J. Molson at a perfect 6-for-6 in practice today, with a long of around 50 yards.

UCLA practices again on Wednesday at 7 a.m.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News