ADVERTISEMENT

Players poised for big years

jshawber

Gold Member
Oct 22, 2001
When I look at our team I see more players with All-American potential than I have seen in a long time. Over the last 15 years we have been lucky to have one guy that could have an Anthony Barr type season and now we have a plethora.

Jack - Already a star and in this new D could lead the conference in tackles. Add in the pass coverage skills and this could add up to multiple post season awards. I really hope to see him on some inside blitzes this year. No QB in the country can out run him.

Vanderdoes - Loaded with talent. Usually stars take the big leap between their sophomore and junior seasons. He has the size and quickness off the ball to be a very disruptive player. I think the only thing he lacked before was a little bit of strength and game experience. After two years in the weight lifting program and a full season as a starter he should be primed.

Clark - Absolute monster. Rarely are pure inside guys as effective as he has been in their first two seasons. I remember an interview with Marsh after his senior year. He was asked if he saw any young players on the Dline that could be a star. He said Clark. Basically said that he was so incredibly strong and quick for a freshman. Once again a sophomore with experience going into a junior season. Perfect formula for taking it to the next level.

Wadood - If it was not for all the other, more experienced talent on D we would talk about this guy a lot more. After the injury to Goforth, he took the open safety spot over a more experienced and also talented Goodman who will very likely be an NFL player. When he came in, he demonstrated good coverage skills, a nose for the ball, and incredible force when he hit players. Many indicated in the Spring that he was maybe our best player on D. That is crazy considering who we have. Star in the making.

Perkins - A true pro and a stone cold killer mentality. A guy that nobody thought would be our RB of the future, but he has improved every year. What makes him special is not just winning the Pac 12 rushing title but that he is a complete back. Great blocker, lost two fumbles in 275 touches, very good pass catcher, and good at picking up the short yardage. He really makes it look easy. The only knock may have been the TD total but Jack and Hundley got most of the goal line carries. He has added strength every year. I can see him having a 20 TD year this season.

Payton - Guy is a stud. Towards the end of the season teams schemed for him which opened it up for everyone else. What I like most about his game is his ability to break tackles. He is a beast with the ball in his hands. The only thing that may hold him back is that we spread the ball around so much. And please do not knock his speed. He smokes people. He just has long strides so it does not look like he is as fast as he is. He is the most accomplished WR on a good team returning to the Pac 12 this year.

Duarte - Can someone say Novacek. He is arguable the best past catching TE in the country. If not for a nagging injury last year and our penchant for throwing short, he probably would be on every preseason top 5 TE list. He really is pretty uncoverable. Who are you going put on him? He will out run the LBs and body up DBs. Plus he has soft hands, runs precise routes and has amazing body control. Another guy going from his sophomore year to junior season who is primed to explode.

Rosen - Is there a guy who is more likely to be a Freshman All-American than Rosen? He really has all the tools. He is the first QB we have had since Aikman that could one day be a 1st pick QB in the NFL draft. Other than his physical gifts, which are plentiful, it is his mind that will set him apart. Kid has genius level IQ. The only concern other than injury is that he really did not play from behind in high school very often. So what happens if he is getting hit and the team is behind. In the couple times he was behind in high school he did turn it up a notch. If healthy, I predict 3000+ yards and 25+ TDs. And that is being somewhat conservative.

What is incredible is that there a number of other guys that you can be just as excited about. What about Massington or Young or the entire Oline?

It has been a while since we have had this level of talent and now we have a stud head coach, two very experienced coordinators, and coaching continuity.

I have not been this excited for a UCLA team in a long time. You should be too.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News