ADVERTISEMENT

Saturday's Practice

anorga

Aug 16, 2005
I went to UCLA today, it was Bruin Day on campus. What a beautiful weather day too.
Took some mental notes mostly of the Offense as that is where I stood by most of time. Just watching the Olineman you realize quickly what is going... Only a few are Pac 12 ready,

McDermott: a leader and most polished lineman. So fast for such a big man.
Miller: He won golden bruin for the beast job he did to his body this winter, can squat 575 lb.+ which is most on team. Kid is very impressive and absolutely huge. Sky is the limit with him, should be UCLA's highest drafted Olineman in a long time.
I hate calling out names of guys who are not going to contribute this season unless something changes but there like 3-4 guys. You might see one not even make it to Fall camp if whispers are true.
Really like #75 James but he is playing behind the 2 big tackles. Also Najee is the flexible big man I ever seen, he must take Yoga. I like Toran, look for him to make a move in the Fall.
Also heard that the big Hawaiian kid might be done.

QB's well Rosen sat out but he looked fine. Think coaches wanted this so 1. JR can see practice differently and because they needed to get extra work for #12 and #17.
#17 is a big kid, looks like he belongs but just needs to become accurate on passes. Struggles with long throws to put on a dime. Hopefully he red-shirts.

WR's ughh again, hate ripping my team but I think the cupboard is bare outside of Adams and #83. Van Dyke could be best receiver on the team. Has everything you want, size, speed, route running and catches everything. Adams is why, #6 Johnson is on defense. Again, this group has a lot players but no one is really elite. I actually think #9 Broadus will play this year, strong and can run a good not great route.
I realize this group was hurt the most from Rosen out today but this is not my 1st practice I attend this Spring.
Theo Howard is who I think I wanna see with Rosen again, coming to practice Thursday afternoon hopefully!
I would play #83, #1 and #14 and as backups #10 and #4. Didn't see Aaron Sharp today but other than that I don't think they warrant much playing time. Massington and Lashly are a mystery maybe in San Berdoo both turn it on? One is more interested in dancing and other one seems like he lacks killer instinct.
Also keep in mind, the defense is very weak at CB. I think the least talented group I saw today by a landslide. We need Moreau and either Lockett or Fish to step it up this fall.

Running Backs, the most talented and Pac-12 ready group we have. Close your eyes and put in #23, #1 or #4 in the game and we have an elite Pac-12 ready running back. My favorite is #23 Starks, he is the most complete back to me but heck it's close. Bolu is impossible to bring down and fearless. Soso is gifted and runs beautifully with the best vision of the group. Even the fullbacks are good, #40 is my favorite. But Tauu is scary fearless. The linebackers hate those 2, Both have a violent punch to knock a defender back. #35 is biggest asshole on the offense. He will not be denied. I saw his blocking today, it will make opponents have to shift to his side every time. Some plays had both fullbacks in the game, that will be fun to see this season.

TE's it is #11 and pretty much nothing else. Maybe Austin Roberts will develop but he seems tentative so far. I know it must be hard to take on guys like Hollins, Dickerson and Wade and try to do your assignment but he needs a lot work to get it down. Good news is #11 looks much better at TE than he did at Y last season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News