ADVERTISEMENT

Update on five-star Darnay Holmes...

EdwardLewis

Jul 3, 2011
UCLA's top uncommitted recruit visited Ohio State this weekend. Here's what Adam Gorney had to say about the five-star after the trip:

I just had an extensive chat with Darick Holmes, Darnay's dad, about the visit to Ohio State this weekend.

Darnay's mother also went on her first trip to Ohio State and she loved it and from what I can tell she's opening up to the idea of Darnay leaving home for the Big 10. There's no doubt Darnay's parents are going to let him make his final decision with their input considered.

It seemed like Urban Meyer's talks throughout the weekend with Holmes had a big influence. He discussed using Holmes like USC uses Adoree' Jackson or Michigan with Jabrill Peppers where defense and special teams will be the focus and he can be utilized on offense as well with his speed and versatility. For people who haven't seen Holmes in person, he's not as incredibly dynamic as Jackson nor bulky as Peppers but definitely a nice mix of the two players. He's definitely the most sudden player in this California recruiting class.

But Meyer was talking about how they've put DBs in the NFL Draft the past few years and how that will continue with Lattimore, Hooker and others and how Holmes would have a chance to come in early and play. How they're going to be in the playoff and how staying home is nice and everything but how playing for championships and possibly getting the Heisman Trophy is realistic at Ohio State.

It all seemed to resonate big-time. I can say for sure that Ohio State, Michigan, UCLA and USC are the frontrunners. Staying closer to home and being the man at UCLA has been a serious consideration especially since the Holmes family has a familial type relationship with DB coach Demetrice Martin. But part of Ohio State's pitch, it seems, was that the Buckeyes will be competing for titles and they can put Holmes in the NFL, obviously two of his goals. That was a big pitch.

Holmes is going to take his visits and figure things out in a timely fashion. The Ohio State visit went really well. I'm going to talk to Darnay more either tonight or in the morning and get his take on the whole thing as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News